IICFIP sets forth this Code of Professional Ethics to guide the professional and personal conduct of its members and certification holders.
Members and IICFIP certification holders shall:
- advocate for and support development of standards for professional practice of forensic investigation and perform services in accordance with such Standards;
- support the implementation of, and encourage compliance with, appropriate standards ;
- perform their duties with objectivity, due diligence, professional care and in accordance with professional standards;
- serve in the interest of stakeholders in a lawful manner, while maintaining high standards of conduct and character, and not discrediting their profession or the Institute;
- maintain the privacy and confidentiality of information obtained in the course of their activities unless disclosure is required by legal authority and shall not be used for personal benefit or released to inappropriate parties;
- maintain competency in their respective fields and agree to undertake only those activities they can reasonably expect to complete with the necessary skills, knowledge and competence;
- inform appropriate parties of the results of work performed including the disclosure of all significant facts known to them that, if not disclosed, may distort the reporting of the results.
- support the professional education which enhance the understanding of the procedures and practices for forensic investigation and associated skills.
- give professional or expert opinion based on concrete evidence avoiding guesswork or speculation.
- obey the law at all times responding to court summons or orders to testify to findings.
- maintain continuous professional development so that one is seen to increase competence and effectiveness in the performance of his or her duties.
- defend the core values and promote the objectives of IICFIP.
Failure to comply with this Code of Professional Ethics shall result in an investigation into a member’s conduct and, ultimately, in disciplinary measures.